Utilizing an Excel spreadsheet with 55 columns has made it possible to document nearly 1,500 on-campus shootings (or school-sponsored events, like the Prom or sporting events) at U.S. schools from 1840 to present day with over 1,300 of the shootings occurring since 1945. The data covers all types or motives (about 50) of school shootings. It is very important to study all types of firearm violence at U.S. schools, NOT just the MASS SCHOOL SHOOTINGS.
The creation of a extensive bibliography for each shooting that's filled with THOUSANDS of newspaper articles, court documents, police reports, and books on the subject facilitates verification of the information in the dataset. I have recently began entering the sources of the information in the database. It is very time consuming and will take several months! Please be patient and bear with me.
The database is about 85-90% completed. The shootings with blank spots in numerous columns simply means I have not had the time to get back to them due to the massive size of the dataset. Please be patient until I get it done. Also, if anyone has any questions PLEASE ASK. I would like to start a civil discourse about school shootings. How else are "WE" to combat gun violence at schools without showing respect for opposing views and each other? If anybody knows of an on-campus shooting at America's schools that is not in the database please email me so I can add it.
Parameters of Research & How I Obtain My Data:
- a shooting must occur on-campus or at a school sponsored event (like prom)
- shootings NEAR schools are not included. I also have constructed additional spreadsheets for off-campus (or near) school shootings, no shots fired incidents that occur on school grounds, and bb gun school shootings that too often get mixed in with on-campus shootings in other research projects
- includes shootings on school buses but NOT at bus stops
-includes all levels of education
-includes shootings inside & outside of the school
-shootings where the shooter is off campus shooting at the school (are included (ex. Brenda Spencer-1979 shooting at Grover Cleveland Elementary School in San Diego, Ca that killed two and wounded 9)
-includes shootings that happen after school hours
-includes suicides & accidental shootings
Newspaper achives are very effective to understand this epidemic of firearm violence that has invaded our education ststem. They are a treasure trove of facts and information on school shootings (all types) and so much more!
- newspapers.com is by far the BEST SOURCE (must have paid subscription). I have recently employed a new data gathering tactic using newspapers.com . I type the year "1978" and the term "school shooting" into their search engine. Using this new tactic I have found nearly 50 shootings. I have only done seven years so far. I have been stunned of the amount of school shootings I have found! What a great site!
-newspaperarchive.com (must have paid subscription)
-NY Times archive (paid subscription)
- I DO NOT trust Wikipedia because it is very UNRELIEABLE and it is NOT USED!
-more info coming soon