Utilizing an Excel spreadsheet with 56 columns has made it possible to document over 1,500 on-campus shootings (or school-sponsored events, like the Prom or sporting events) at U.S. schools from 1840 to present day with over 1,350 of the shootings occurring since 1945. The data covers all types of shootings at America's schools. The database is over 90% completed. If anybody knows of an on-campus shooting at America's schools that is not in the database please email me @ firstname.lastname@example.org so I can add it.
All the information in the databases is verified by a extensive bibliography of thousands of articles, court documents, police records, official reports, books on the subject, etc.... This research project was started in 2009 with the intention to construct a credible and reliable database about shootings at America's schools. The fact that a quality empirical database was not already completed on shootings at U.S. schools is unacceptable and frankly embarrassing and shameful. Surely there has been enough time over the last 20 years to conduct open-minded research on school shootings, but obviously not the political will . With the dramatic increase in shootings at America's schools since the 1960's our kids deserve better that the shameless angling and profiteering from, both, gun control advocates, gun-rights supporters, those in the American media, school administrators, the FBI, or anyone else that would manipulate and/or neglect children's safety and use it as political leverage to get what they want. Facts from a credible database and the pursuit of understanding the root causes of the violence should drive the narrative, not self-serving special interests groups, pastisan politicians, and the mass media uninterested in scientific studies of problematic behavior. My hope is that this extensive resource be used by researchers, both, amateur and professional, as a foundation to conduct further research about school shootings. I welcome anybody to fact check the information in the dataset.
Parameters of Research & How I Obtain My Data:
- a shooting must occur on-campus or at a school sponsored event (like the prom)
- shootings NEAR schools are not included. I also have constructed additional spreadsheets for off-campus (or near) school shootings, no shots fired incidents that occur on school grounds, and bb gun school shootings that too often get mixed in with on-campus shootings in other school violence research projects
- includes shootings on school buses but NOT at bus stops
-mass shooting (or attempted mass) attacks are defined as 3 or more victims injured and or killed
-includes all levels of education
-includes shootings inside & outside of the school
-shootings where the shooter is off campus shooting at the school (are included (ex. Brenda Spencer-1979 shooting at Grover Cleveland Elementary School in San Diego, Ca that killed two and wounded 9)
-includes shootings that happen after school hours
-includes suicides & accidental shootings
Newspaper achives are very effective to understand this epidemic of firearm violence that has invaded our education system. They are a treasure trove of facts and information on school shootings and so much more!
- newspapers.com is by far the BEST SOURCE (must have paid subscription). I have recently employed a new data gathering tactic using newspapers.com . I type the year "1978" and the term "school shooting" into their search engine. Using this new tactic I have found nearly 50 shootings. I have only done seven years so far. I have been stunned of the amount of school shootings I have found! What a great site! Another great resource is www.columbine-angels.com. It is a summary based list of school violence around the world.
-newspaperarchive.com (must have paid subscription)
-NY Times archive (paid subscription)
- I DO NOT trust Wikipedia because it is very UNRELIEABLE and it is NOT USED!
-more info coming soon